Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dragon*Con

Holy crap. I could write a novel about Dragon*Con, but I'll try to settle for a paragraph or two. My buddy Tradd and I got into ATL on Thursday night, stayed at his parents place, and attended the con Fri-Sun. Let me tell you: it was FUN. People in costumes everywhere, awesome goodies available to purchase, interesting panels, and just a ton of really cool people. I'd recommend it to anyone that likes comics, sci-fi, fantasty, etc. Take note, though, that it's a much more fan-oriented con than an artist-oriented one, which Tradd and I found out rather early. The whole weekend, I think I saw three other cats with portfolios, which ended up working in our favor I suppose.

The absolute highlight came on Sunday, though, when I was personally taken aside by Olivier Coipel for a portfolio review, and then by Darwyn Cooke for the same. It's difficult to talk about this without sounding like I'm bragging, but there are 5 people in the world that I really want to respect what I'm doing, and Darwyn is one of them. He not only took me aside, but brought me behind his table and talked to me for about 20 minutes about my work, as well as comics and art in general. Both he and Olivier were some of the nicest guys I've ever met in art, period. A shout out also goes to David Mack, the creator of Kabuki, who is ALSO one of the nicest guys I've ever met, period. It was really awesome not only meeting some of our heroes, but finding out that they're really friendly guys and have a real desire to look out for up and coming talent.

Anyway, I'm done gushing for now, but I hope everyone that reads this journal looks into making a trip to Dragon*Con next year. I guarantee, it'll be worth your while. 'Til next time!

-YWS

No comments:

Post a Comment